Part ⅠVocabulary and Structure
1.Jane hadn’t been to London before. ________ had her husband.
A. Neither B. Either C. So D. Or
2. No sooner had he arrived in Rome _______he heard of the good news.
A. when B. than C. then D. until
3. I’m for the suggestion that a special board ________ to examine the problem.
A. be set up B. will be set up
C. must be set up D. has to be set up
4. The disabled children need many things, but _______ , they need love.
A. first of all B. not at all C. after all D. all in all
5. The coal industry in the north of China is now barely half its _____size.
A. formal B. former C. latter D. later
6. The football player is hoping to ________ to another team soon.
A. transfer B. transport C. transplant D. transact
7. the garden, the old man went to have a rest.
A. Having been watered B. Watering C. Having watered D. Being watered
8. Her ________ to the job left her with very little free time.
A.devotion B. faith C. trust D. interest
9. The children have been _______ since their father left.
A. out of style B. under control C. out of control D. in style
10. It is reported _______ great changes have been made with the application of the new policy.
A. which B. that C. while D. what
Many post-80s couples are complaining that going to the movies ,shopping or attending parties have become impossible since their kids were born.
That’s the way most parents are living their lives ,no weekends of their own ,no time to visit friends. not even a chance of promotion in their jobs. Asking help from their parents might be a way out ,but problems are that some aging parents are not strong enough to take care of the kids, and that the kids may also become too spoiled by their grandparents. Then, here comes a solution: families with kids can form a small group, and parents of each family can take turns to look after all the kids in this group on weekends.
Thus, other parents can have some quiet time and feel free to do something they’ve been planning for a long time .At the same time, the kids can make new friends and won’t be hanging around their parents all day long. This is baby-pooling.
1. Many post-80s couples can’t go to the movies, shop or attend parties because _______.
A. they have to look after their kids
B. they have to look after their parents
C. they are busy with their work
D. they have no money
2. In Paragraph 2, “a way out “means _______.
A. out of date
B. a solution
C. without question
D. a complaint
3. According to the last paragraph, the solution to the problem of post-80s couples is that _______.
A. families with kids form a small group
B. they ask their aging parents for help
C. they give up their jobs
D. they take their kids wherever they go